The Senior Data Architect bears responsibility on behalf of the enterprise to foster value creation from the use of the organization's data assets, as well as from the external data ecosystem. The authorities include value creation through data exploitation, envisioning data-enabled strategies as well as enabling all forms of business outcomes through analytics, data and analytics governance, and enterprise information policy.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive the development and deployment of the enterprise’s data and analytics strategy and platforms. Lead strategy definition, tool/platform evaluation and product decisions of data and analytics products to enable our business strategy.
- Remain current with technology trends relevant to data and analytics.
- Provide strategic recommendations to maximize the value of information assets via their creation, access, and use by partnering with business unit leadership.
- Foster value creation using the organization’s data assets and external data ecosystem. Aid value creation through data exploitation, envisioning data-enabled strategies, and enable all forms of business outcomes through analytics, data and analytics governance, and enterprise information policy.
- Assess the benefits and risks of information by using tools such as business capability models to create an information-centric view to quickly visualize what information matters most to the organization based on the defined business strategy.
- Enable effective data and analytics governance. Assist leadership in developing data and information governance processes and structures and operationalizing them.
- Enable enterprise information management by prioritizing and executing data and analytic initiatives with clear line of sight to enterprise strategies and business outcomes.
- Aid in the analysis of data and analytics security requirements and solutions. Work with the security team to ensure that enterprise data and analytics assets are treated as protected assets.
- Record how data is moved around the “virtual” enterprise, including frequency of movement, source and destination of each step, transformation, and any aggregation or calculations. Recommend any opportunities for efficiencies and improvement of data quality.
- Work with the business and application designers to identify and model integrative views of data and determine the quality of service requirements (data currency, availability, response times, and data volumes).
- Design and define canonical data views.
- Define technical standards and guidelines while encouraging reuse of existing data stores, and addressing issues of security, timeliness, and quality. Provide guidelines for reuse of data and ensure that the architecture management processes include the assessment of all proposals to create new data stores.
- Manage related metadata to include business descriptions of the data, details of any calculations and summaries, descriptions of the sources, and indications of data quality and currency.
- Communicate the benefits of the enterprise data architecture to various stakeholders in order to focus on meeting business and IT needs while assisting developers in the use of architecture.
Managerial supervision is received from the Enterprise Architect and other Senior Management.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or other appropriate discipline plus 8-10 years of experience in data strategies, data analysis, database architecture and management, development or administration or Associate degree in related field and 5+ years of relevant data processing, systems analysis/design, and 2-3 years of experience developing/maintaining database objects in one of the database systems or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans.
- Ideal candidate will have strong or some working knowledge of the P&C insurance industry.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent math, research skills and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and work on multiple project assignments while under pressure.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of other company personnel, including technical personnel from other disciplines, IT Management, business users, outside vendors and consultants.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to train and/or mentor as well as oversee specific project work of others.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- On-call periodically to support scheduled implementations, predominantly done on a weekend.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.