Responsible for the design, development, implementation and monitoring of programs aimed at improving the underwriting, risk selection and profitability of Vermont Mutual’s property insurance business; including HO, renters, condo, dwelling fire and property business written on our Business Owners policy form.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completion of property inspection reports and recommendations for more complex personal and commercial new and renewal business.
- Management, operation and financial efficiency of company’s property inspection program.
- Training and development of underwriting, claims, and marketing staff pertaining to property evaluation, underwriting and risk selection and risk mitigation.
- Design, development and implementation of (certified) continuing education programs to staff and partners.
- Evaluation of segments of the Vermont Mutual portfolio as well as recommending areas and specific actions for improvement, including but not limited to appropriate loss control for seasonal/secondary property, assessment of multi-family portfolio, opportunities for further penetration in tenant and condo markets, evaluation of our homeowner portfolio compared to specific state or market averages.
- Evaluate risk control needs and guidelines for expanded classes, lines of business or territories.
- Analysis of claim information to identify trends or opportunities for loss ratio improvement. For example, vacant property exposure, age of building exposure, tenant or property use profiles etc.
- Recommend and play key role in product development where appropriate.
- Create and implement and monitor risk programs that will comply with state regulations and reduce property and general liability claims.
- Serve as a resource for the company in pertinent risk control discussions with reinsurance brokers, reinsurers, vendors and agents.
- Research, analyze and report on cost effective plans to minimize, reduce or control attritional and catastrophic losses.
General supervision is received from the Vice President, Underwriting or other senior staff member.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or other appropriate discipline, plus 8 or more years of relevant risk control experience in the property & casualty industry.
- Broad and in‑depth experience within the industry, with an understanding of risk control marketing, underwriting and claims adjusting functions. Good knowledge of assigned territory.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Solid analytical and decision making skills to measure results and adjust timely to trends.
- Excellent sales/marketing skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills; including the ability to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively.
- Insurance designations are a plus.
- Ability to travel extensively.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Typical office or residence-based/field environment.
- For field based positions, regular outside automobile day travel of approximately 80% is expected.
- Overnight travel may be required, including trips to the Home Office.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.