Based on a level of authority granted by commercial lines underwriting management, an associate underwriter I will perform a full range of policy underwriting functions related to commercial lines of insurance, including but not limited to, accepting or declining risks, determining appropriate coverage levels and terms for accepting risks, preparing policies for issuance and performing a variety of agent liaison/account servicing functions. The focus of the job is on contributing to the Associate team’s efforts to complete the tasks that are assigned to them and occasionally assisting other Commercial Lines Underwriters with their workflows as assigned by management. This position may be a substitute for other Commercial Lines Underwriters while they are out of the office. This position may be assigned an underwriting territory on a temporary basis as part of his or her development. The Associate Underwriter I will handle business of moderate volume or complexity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process requests for quotes on and applications for new business:
- Review and analyze request/application to determine acceptability under current company guidelines and policies, seeking additional information from agents as needed; prepare worksheets documenting analysis; approve or decline, determining appropriate terms for accepting risks, considering exposures, amount of coverage, need for inspection reports, corrective measures, and the like;
- Notify agent of/explain reasons for decisions to decline; give agents quotes;
- Prepare application and related forms for rating; review completed rating and all forms following rating for accuracy and completeness; initiate actual issuance of the policy, annotate approval prior to routing the task to be issued;
- Assign reinsurance if necessary;
- Ensure all policy documents and internal processing forms are completed;
- Order survey/inspection if needed; review inspection results; determine appropriate follow-up actions, if indicated, and notify agents.
- Process policy renewals: review policies coming up for renewal; initiate pre-renewal notices to agents; if policy is to be renewed and all necessary information obtained, process for rating and issuance.
- Process policy endorsements: review for completeness of information and acceptability of risk; obtain additional information if needed; process for rating and issuance.
- Process cancellations and non-renewals at expiration dates:
- Review agents' requests for cancellation to verify compliance with legal requirements, cancellation date, etc.; obtain additional information if needed;
- Approve and route for internal processing and formal cancellation;
- Initiate company cancellations and non-renewals, ensuring that legal notice requirements are met; execute cancellation request, ensuring that all proper documentation is completed.
- Process mid-term cancellations, at agency or company initiative, for non-payment, increase in hazard, or other allowable reasons, ensuring that all legal requirements are met, and work with the manager to obtain permission from State Insurance Commissioner if necessary.
- Review losses to detect frequency or severity problems; suggest changes to improve loss ratio and monitor potential problem policies; initiate cancellation if problems continue and no alternative coverage approaches are viable.
- Perform key liaison functions with agents within assigned geographic area: solicit information for quotes, give quotes, explain declined business, discuss problems or unusual situations, provide agents with a wide variety of information related to policy and coverage options, encourage continuing business, and the like.
- Perform as needed agency visits including attendance at company functions or agent conventions.
- Confer regularly with manager, other underwriting staff and other company personnel to plan, coordinate and evaluate activities, exchange information, investigate and resolve problems, consult regarding acceptable risks, and the like. Seek assistance from manager or senior staff regarding any aspects of underwriting a policy that are questionable or deviate significantly from standard precedents and/or company operating policies/procedures. Obtain approval of all larger and unusual acceptable risks.
- Perform a variety of filing and recordkeeping tasks associated with assigned underwriting functions.
- Keep abreast of relevant changes in legal requirements, industry standards and trends, company policies and guidelines, and so forth.
- Work with senior underwriting staff and take formal courses to acquire more advanced knowledge and skills required to become fully proficient in underwriting.
- Properly and effectively use the software/computer programs that are necessary to perform the job, such as: e-mail, web, word processing, spreadsheets, rating software, ImageRight, AS/400, Reference Connect and automated phone system.
- Serve on departmental or company committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Considerable to minimal supervision is received from a Commercial Lines Manager, Supervisor or senior staff. This position will require considerable to minimal oversight for renewal business, endorsements and inspections depending on an associate underwriter’s level of authority and considerable oversight for new business from a Commercial Lines Manager or senior staff.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in business or other appropriate discipline.
- Excellent math, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Experience using computerized information systems. Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook preferred.
- Ability to represent the company to, and deal effectively with agents, as well as others outside the company, in carrying out the varied liaison and account servicing functions of the job; ability to work cooperatively with company personnel.
- Capable of performing with, and managing, a moderate level of Associate Commercial Lines Underwriting authority.
- Ability to work within a fast pace environment and meet productivity standards on a consistent basis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.