Create, review, modify, define and design database objects in the VMG environment as well as work as a liaison to application developers to provide assistance on how these objects interact with other VMG applications, as well as 3rd party applications.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support database objects residing in AWS Aurora & Red Shift, Microsoft-SQL Server and/or Oracle-MySQL databases.
- Design, create, modify and remove database objects (tables, views, indexes, keys, stored procedures, functions, DB links, etc.) to support development projects.
- Design, build, and maintain extract-transformation-load (ETL) processes.
- Implement and test database objects in non-production environments.
- Move supporting data between non-production environments.
- Work with Application Development Teams, Project, Testing and Release Managers, Architects and IT Management to support fixes, enhancements and projects at VMG.
- Assist other developers with SQL questions as needed.
- Performance review and tuning on pending, new and production database objects.
- Maintain database objects in a software version control system.
- Support Testing efforts from a database perspective.
- Data expert for migrating data from existing applications and database environments to new architecture.
- Work with IT resources supporting various technologies in use at VMG (Thunderhead, Web Services, Corticon, Appian, XML, etc.) to effectively integrate with database(s).
- May assist the Database Architect with:
- Design of enterprise data model and integration with business strategic & tactical goals.
- Design & implementation of Database policies and guidelines
- Security design.
- Periodic metric reports on the database environments.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or assigned.
General supervision, guidance and work assignment is received from the Architects, Project Managers as well as managerial supervision from the Lead Solution Architect and other Senior Management.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or other appropriate discipline plus 1 - 4 years of experience in database design, development or administration or Associate degree in related field and 5+ years of relevant data processing, systems analysis/design, and 2-3 years of experience developing/maintaining database objects in one of the database systems or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Ideal candidate will have strong or some working knowledge of the P&C insurance industry.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent math, research skills and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and work on multiple project assignments while under pressure.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of other company personnel, including technical personnel from other disciplines, IT Management, business users, outside vendors and consultants.
- Ability to train and/or mentor as well as oversee specific project work of others.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- On-call periodically to support scheduled implementations, predominantly done on a weekend.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.