Responsible for the profitable growth of an assigned territory in Maine by providing a full range of marketing and public relations functions for the company. Serves as principal company liaison with agents within marketing territory. Executes company strategy and territory marketing plan to achieve desired results.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the profitable growth of their assigned territory.
- Develop annual written premium plan, including premium retention and new business objectives (at agency, product & territory level).
- Document territory opportunities and obstacles to achieve plan
- Develop reasonable objectives to support Vermont Mutual’s annual plan
- Identify key partner agencies to achieve annual plan
- Coordinate/develop premium plan objectives with internal partners
- Execute company strategy to achieve premium and loss objectives at agency level.
- Develop/maintain profitable relationships with key agency personnel at all levels of their organization. Strengthen relationships with key decision makers in each agency. Communicate with internal and external partners to positively influence the relationship and outcomes.
- Consult with agents to impact mix of business and agent profitability. Overcome objections and develop solutions. Increase agent’s revenue capabilities by managing all revenue components Vermont Mutual offers.
- Drive target submissions from agents. Manage submission process internally and externally. Monitor renewal process with agencies and underwriters to insure key issues are resolved timely. Document successes and lost business to initiate future rate actions.
- Prospect for new agency appointments. Obtain production commitment and execute a new appointment schedule to insure agency is trained in Vermont Mutual’s products and technology.
- Identify agency training needs and conduct sessions to insure product and system skill sets are at a high level.
- Gather competitive intelligence and provide R&D in order to enhance Vermont Mutual’s product, pricing and positioning. Have an in depth knowledge of Vermont Mutual’s competitors and their products.
- Implement profit improvement actions in territory. Develop action plans to correct negative trends. Communicate corrective actions with agents while maintaining the solid partnerships.
- Complete property inspections and document quality risk characteristics with underwriting.
- Participate in Industry Groups and Associations.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Minimal direction is received from the Vice President, Marketing or other senior staff member.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or other appropriate discipline, plus 3+ years of relevant work experience in the property & casualty industry.
- Broad and in‑depth experience within the industry, with an understanding of marketing, underwriting and adjusting functions. Good knowledge of assigned territory.
- Strong territory management skills to work independently, identify problems and implement changes that generate desired outcomes for the agency and Vermont Mutual.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Solid analytical and decision making skills to measure results and adjust timely to trends.
- Excellent sales/marketing skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills; including the ability to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and recruit new agents.
- Insurance designations are a plus.
- Ability to travel extensively.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Typical office or residence based/field environment.
- For field based positions, regular outside automobile day travel of approximately 80% is expected.
- Overnight travel may be required, including trips to the Home Office.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.