The Claim Clerk is responsible for performing clerical functions in support of the claims units and the department. Receive and direct work and provide functional support service including (but not limited to) handling telephone calls, input of source data, entering or ordering official reports, indexing and routing correspondence, file coding and maintenance, receiving and processing new claims, and making payments to support the achievement of the departments business objectives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive claim first notice reports via telephone or electronically and enter into systems.
- Provide first point of contact advice and deliver helpful customer service.
- Answer phone calls and assist or refer to correct personnel.
- Direct communications through correct workflows and resolve problems.
- Extract coverage and claims data and enter into appropriate systems or programs.
- Perform claim file setup functions completely, quickly and accurately.
- Ensure that coding is accurate and updated.
- Perform various tasks to assist file handlers and customers.
- Order, distribute and enter various reports as required.
- Index, label and process customer correspondence such as faxes, mail and e-mail.
- Complete recordkeeping in various logs and diary.
- Order, organize and distribute office supplies.
- Process payments and recoveries in the system; audit, add attachments, stuff envelopes and mail paper checks.
- Provide administrative support such as word processing, transcription and spreadsheet data entry for the department.
- May be required to greet and screen visitors to the office.
- Assist colleagues in other units as workload dictates.
- May be required to participate in CAT teams.
- Provide accurate and timely information to all external and internal customers concerning claim status and other claim inquiries consistent with degree of experience.
- Improve processes within the department to increase the level and quality of service provided to internal and external customers, i.e. workflow changes, systems implementation, etc.
- The Claim Clerk is also responsible for performing numerous miscellaneous clerical tasks in support of the unit and department.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Close supervision is received from the Supervisor or senior staff.
- High School Diploma and one or more years of relevant claim processing or office experience.
- A commitment to developing insurance business skills and knowledge.
- Claims specific understanding of the insurance industry and company operations is preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with professional and personnel situations.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of outside firms and organizations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with company management, representatives and support staff.
- Possess the ability to type data swiftly and accurately.
- Good telephone manner and skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with PC applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Outlook); Experience with imaging preferred.
- Able to perform job functions under pressure.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- Potentially subject to stressful situations with respect to claim dispute.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.