To perform a full range of policy underwriting functions related to personal lines of insurance, involving accepting or declining risks, determining appropriate levels and terms for accepting risk, and preparing policies for issuance. To perform a variety of agent liaison/account servicing functions. The focus of the job is on managing an assigned underwriting territory of limited volume or complexity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review risks when referred for prior approval.
- Refer any risk over authority level to a senior underwriter or supervisor; prepare appropriate referral document.
- Review and analyze application to determine acceptability under current company guidelines and policies, map risks in coastal areas, request appropriate CLUE or Motor Vehicle Reports and seek all other necessary information to complete the analysis, document analysis, approve or decline the risk, determine appropriate terms for accepting risks to include appropriate coverages, need for inspection reports, corrective measures, and the like;
- Notify agent of/explain reasons for declination.
- For umbrella risks, review underlying coverage limits, company ratings, MVR and loss history for acceptability
- Order survey/inspection when needed; review inspection results, initiate recommendations; determine appropriate follow-up action.
- Process policy renewals: review policies coming up for renewal and take necessary action.
- Review policy endorsements that have been referred for completeness of information and acceptability of risk, obtain additional information if needed; accept and forward to service staff or decline and notify agent of reasons on a daily basis.
- Review cancellations that have been referred for approval. Approve and route to cancellation flow or request additional information needed.
- Review and reinstate policies that have been set for cancellation when necessary.
- Approve or decline reinstatement/rewrites on policies cancelled for non-payment. Notify direct bill if they need to take actions.
- Initiate company cancellations and non-renewals, ensuring that legal notice requirements are met; execute cancellation request, ensuring that all proper documentation is completed.
- Process mid-term cancellations, at agency or company initiative, for non-payment, increase in hazard, or other allowable reasons, ensuring that all legal requirements are met.
- Assist Underwriting Supervisor with agency audits
- Daily monitoring and processing of personal diaries
- Review losses to detect frequency or severity problems; suggest changes to improve loss ratio and monitor potential problem policies; initiate cancellation if problems continue and no alternative coverage approaches are viable.
- Perform key liaison functions with agents within assigned geographic area: solicit information for quotes give quotes, explain declined business, discuss problems or unusual situations, provide with a wide variety of information related to policy and coverage options encourages continuing business, and the like.
- Keep abreast of relevant changes in legal requirements, industry standards and trends, company policies and guidelines, changes in policy forms or coverages and research as needed through internet, Nable, Reference Connect, etc.
- Learn and understand software programs and reports such as: Nable, Metaviewer, ImageRight, Riskmeter and other underwriting tools.
- Provide back-up phone and service for other underwriters as directed by supervisor.
- Monitor agency problems; work with marketing representatives to resolve; keep supervisor and manager abreast of issues.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Close supervision is received from a Personal Lines Senior Underwriter or Underwriting Supervisor
- Associate's degree in business or other appropriate discipline plus 1 to 3 years of relevant work experience, with some industry experience desirable, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Broad base of knowledge/skills related to underwriting personal lines of insurance. Good general knowledge of the industry, including insurance company and independent agency operations.
- Good math, analytical and problem-solving skills. Good writing skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook; Experience working with computerized information systems, including imaging.
- Ability to represent the company and work cooperatively and effectively with company personnel and agents, as well as others outside the company, in carrying out the varied liaison and account servicing functions of the job.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.