We are seeking a candidate to join our Claims Department – specifically our Customer Service group. Insurance or customer service experience preferred, however we are willing to train the right candidate. The ideal candidate will be interested in assisting others with passion and empathy. The primary emphasis is on providing friendly, courteous and prompt service to our policyholders, claimants, agency partners, and internal staff. This position is team based however the Claim Support Specialist I is also individually responsible for a number of functions and interdepartmental tasks including taking and processing new claims, indexing documents, making payments, and otherwise supporting the achievement of the departments objectives. If you are willing to work hard in a fast-pace environment and enjoy helping others when they need it the most, then we invite you to apply and join our team!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive claim first notice reports via telephone or electronically and enter into systems.
- Provide first point of contact advice and deliver helpful customer service.
- Answer phone calls and assist or refer to correct personnel.
- Direct communications through correct workflows and resolve problems.
- Extract coverage and claims data and enter into appropriate systems or programs.
- Perform claim file setup functions completely, quickly and accurately.
- Ensure that coding is accurate and updated.
- Perform various tasks to assist file handlers and customers.
- Order, distribute and enter various reports as required.
- Index, label and process customer correspondence such as faxes, mail and e-mail.
- Complete recordkeeping in various logs and diary.
- Order, organize and distribute office supplies.
- Process payments and recoveries in the system; audit, add attachments, stuff envelopes and mail paper checks.
- Provide administrative support such as word processing, transcription and spreadsheet data entry for the department.
- May be required to greet and screen visitors to the office.
- Assist colleagues in other units as workload dictates.
- May be required to participate in CAT teams.
- Provide accurate and timely information to all external and internal customers concerning claim status and other claim inquiries consistent with degree of experience.
- Improve processes within the department to increase the level and quality of service provided to internal and external customers, i.e. workflow changes, systems implementation, etc.
- The Support Specialist is also responsible for performing numerous miscellaneous clerical tasks in support of the unit and department.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Close to Moderate supervision is received from the Supervisor or senior staff.
- High School Diploma and three or more years of relevant claim processing or office experience.
- Basic knowledge of the processing aspects of property and/or casualty claims (including automobile, property and general liability claims).
- Willingness to expand professional development through continuing education related to the job such as AIC, AEI, INS or CPCU programs, etc.
- A commitment to developing insurance business skills and knowledge.
- Claims specific understanding of the insurance industry and company operations.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with professional and personnel situations.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of outside firms and organizations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with company management, representatives and support staff.
- Knowledge of computer systems, Microsoft Office productivity software, ImageRight, AS400 WINS.
- Possess the ability to type data swiftly and accurately.
- Good telephone manner and skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with PC applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Outlook); Experience with imaging and estimating programs preferred.
- Able to perform job functions under pressure.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- Potentially subject to stressful situations with respect to claim dispute.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.
If you have any questions, please call 800-451-5000