To coordinate and carry out a variety of IBM i (AS/400) system support functions, including security, system performance, hardware/software user support, system software administration and support, and related functions. This position also performs some computer operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain up-to-date technical knowledge of all equipment, systems software and applications software, as relates to the IBM i or Operations.
- Coordinate IBM i security functions: track daily security violations and monitor security to ensure data integrity; participate in developing, implementing and maintaining IBM i information systems security, and backup and recovery program.
- Perform a variety of Operations software evaluation functions: conduct software evaluations and comparisons. Analyze current and future systems application software, performance and disk usage. Monitor resource utilization to ensure acceptable performance and project future needs.
- Installation and configuration of various software packages, patches and fixes (PTFs). Provide technical guidance related to operating system and system application software to other technical staff.
- Participate in department planning efforts related to assessing and improving computer operations functions.
- Deal with a variety of problems that arise on a daily basis. Troubleshoot hardware/software malfunctions, correcting problem if possible and referring to senior staff or outside vendors/consultants as appropriate.
- Serve as back up for Computer Operations, as well as performing back up duties to the Operations Manager in specific areas.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date technical knowledge of systems software and applications software, as relates to the IBM i or Operations. Review documentation periodically and new release notes as available.
- Coordinate / carry out / assist with a variety of special projects.
- Keep up-to-date on relevant new technological developments in the industry.
- Provide off-hour support as it relates to the IBM i or Operations, as needed.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
General supervision is received from the Operations Manager, or other senior staff.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or other appropriate discipline, plus 2 to 4 years of relevant computer operations experience; or high school plus 4 to 7 years experience; or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Solid base of IBM i technical knowledge and experience in computer operations and programming (microcomputer hardware and software knowledge a plus).
- Some experience with the company's current hardware and software applications.
- Good planning, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Good writing and analytical/problem‑solving skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of company users, as well as outside vendors and consultants.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- Off hour and weekend work may be required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.
If you have any questions, please call 800-451-5000