Directly handle tasks and functions, and a claim caseload comprised mostly of relatively high volume, low financial exposure & low complexity cases. The primary emphasis is on producing quick, courteous and accurate claims determinations for our policyholders and claimants. Reasonably conclude claims promptly and equitably within the provisions of the policy and in accordance with known damages and coverages. All files handled must comply with, claim file handling guidelines and all other job expectations, regulations and requirements. The Associate Claim Representative is expected to assure that regulatory and customer service expectations are achieved.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct and coordinate investigations on all assigned claims.
- Make initial contacts to ascertain degree of damages and either handle directly or recommend for reassignment to another level claim professional.
- Negotiate the settlement of claims within authorized amounts or specific file authority.
- Maintain accountability for all assigned claims until disposition is reached.
- Recommend further action on claims exceeding authority limits.
- Document all substantive activity on assigned claims using notepad.
- Review new losses and open files on diary to ensure reserve adequacy while keeping superiors informed of adverse developments.
- Monitor loss adjustment expense and take steps to mitigate expenses while maintaining quality.
- Review coverage questions and work with supervisor or claim management for help and approval.
- Ensure appropriate file handling, documentation, reporting and expense control over all files handled.
- Provide accurate and timely information to all external and internal customers concerning claim status and other claim inquiries.
- Improve processes within the department to increase the level and quality of service provided to internal and external customers, i.e. workflow changes, systems implementation, etc.
- This position handles a claim pending which may vary in size and complexity based on internal and external demands.
- Assist in the preparation of cases to facilitate disposition
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Moderate supervision is received from the Claim Supervisor or team leader.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in business, insurance or a related field (or its equivalent); one or more years of relevant claim processing experience; or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Willingness and ability to obtain the appropriate state Adjuster’s License(s) where required by law.
- Fundamental knowledge of the technical aspects of property and/or casualty claims.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development through continuing education related to the job such as AIC, INS, AEI or CPCU programs, etc.
- Increasing skills in technical disciplines; some understanding of property/construction is helpful.
- General understanding of the insurance industry and company operations.
- Good analytical and negotiating skills.
- Excellent phone, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with professional situations.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of outside firms and organizations.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with company management, adjusters, support staff, and independent agents.
- Customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with PC applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Outlook); Experience with imaging and estimating programs preferred.
- Ability to perform job duties effectively while under pressure.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- Rare overnight travel.
- Potentially subject to stressful situations with respect to claim dispute.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.
If you have any questions, please call 800-451-5000